We met when you were 11.
I married Daddy when you were 13.
The judge made you and me legal with our adoption when you were 14.
This parenting gig really does fly by in flash, so before you zoom out the door, on the occasion of your Sweet 16, here are 14 wishes from me to you:
1. I wish that you know how much joy you’ve given your two mothers. Both Mommy in heaven, and now my turn here on Earth. I know neither of us could ask for a bigger honor than to get to be your mom.
2. I wish that you know it’s actually not your job to bring joy to anyone. It’s okay to use that voice of yours. Speak up. People pleasers often aren’t very pleased themselves.
3. I wish that you know your girlfriends are some of the biggest treasures you will ever have. They are your sisters by choice. You’ve picked some awesome ones. Hang on tight with one arm, while welcoming new friends as you travel on.
4. I wish that you demand any boy you choose to date treat you with the same love and respect your girlfriends do. This is a high bar. You’ll be surprised by how many women settle for less.
5. I wish that you remember that you can’t screw up the right one; you can’t make the wrong one work. This will hold true with relationships, colleges, jobs, and houses.
6. I wish that you remember that you’re the only one you need to make a party complete. Know that everyone will be exactly where they are supposed to be and you’ll never be disappointed with an rsvp list.
7. I wish that you know how you dress matters. Like it or not, you’re sending the world a message about you.
8. I wish that you know that money matters. No, not to have the most, but to understand it, manage it, and save it will give you enormous freedom.
9. I wish that you know that women’s intuition is real. Those hairs standing up on the back of your neck, that funny feeling in your stomach—trust them.
10. I wish that you know that accomplishments are great, but happiness is a choice.
11. I wish you take as much time as you need before you get your driver’s license. Daddy and I will sleep better for awhile and you get to do life at your own pace.
12. I wish you side-blinders so you have no need to look at anyone else’s plate. Comparison is a losing game. You’d be surprised how many who appear to have more aren’t happy with what they have.
13. I wish you appreciation for good health. It’s easier to keep than to get back.
14. I wish you many mistakes and no regrets. It’s called a journey. It’s leading you exactly where you need to be. I know because so many of my so-called mistakes, led me to you and Daddy.
Why only 14?
Because 15-16 and all the others are for you to create and go after.
Daddy and I will be here giving you guidance, love and support, but, Hija, this is your ride.
Oh, what a kick to get to watch you launch.
All my love,
Find more uplifting stories on my website, DarynKagan.com